RSPCA Injustice Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time?

2 posters

Go down

Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time? Empty Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time?

Post  Admin Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:51 pm

I`ve posted this as i find the RSPCA a little `hypocritical`

How can they oppose the Badger cull yet promote Fox and Deer shooting?
Personally i think the `Badgerline` was a bit of self promoting propaganda whilst hoping to keep the other `items` under wraps.

Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time?

The charity will put callers concerned about the cull or who come across injured badgers straight through to specially trained experts on the new “badgerline”.

But farmers insist that only trained marksmen will be allowed to shoot badgers with high velocity rifles in controlled conditions and there is unlikely to be any injuries.

Countryside groups pointed out that the RSPCA back the culling of deer and foxes and questioned the use of donations to set up the “badgerline”.

A spokesman said that the badgerline was set up after a flood of concern from supporters.

“We are expecting an influx of calls about injured badgers,” said a spokeswoman.

The charity are also preparing to collect injured badgers and “deal with them”.

The RSPCA said the badgerline will not cost any extra money but could in fact save money as a way of "stream lining" calls to the right person.

The charity said the costs of the call centre are all under one contract and there is constant training, so more calls and training of staff in particular areas will not add to costs.

But Adam Quinney, vice chairman of the National Farmers Unions, said it is “extremely unlikely” there will be any injured badgers.

He pointed out that farmers are killing around 100,000 foxes every year without causing injury, as part of pest control.

“Every night around the countryside people are controlling fox numbers. I have never heard reports of wounded foxes.”

Tim Bonner of the Countryside Alliance pointed out the RSPCA is a signatory to Deer Initiative promoting cull of 100s thousands of deer with no 'helpline'.

Other countryside campaigners on Twitter pointed out that the RSPCA promote the shooting of foxes, rather than hunting with dogs, as part of the campaign against hunting.

The Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust questioned the use of money.

Adam Gilruth, director of marketing at GWCT, wrote on Twitter: “Money better spent helping train marksmen.”

Clarissa Dickson Wright, the cook and countryside campaigner, yesterday urged people to stop donating to the charity until it returns to helping domestic animals and abandons its “threatening policies.”

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, one of the trained marksmen explained how the badger cull will be carried out.

He said only experienced marksmen are carrying out the cull after a training course and proving they are able to shoot a target in realistic circumstances.

The badgers will be shot in the early morning from a hide using a .22 centre-fire rifle, the same calibre that soldiers use against the Taliban in Afghanistan, and night vision goggles or a lamp.

Expanding ammunition, that is designed specifically to “humanely” kill animals as quickly as possible, rather than cause injury just “ripping through” is used.

Badgers can only be killed at a maximum range of 70m, ensuring there is an earth bank or other backdrop to absorb the bullet if it misses the target.

There will always be more than one person on the site during the shooting and regularly inspectors from the government to ensure it is being done correctly.

The marksmen pointed out that deer and foxes are shot by farmers under much less controlled circumstances without injury.

The RSPCA said the badgerline will not cost any extra money but could in fact save money as a way of "stream lining" calls to the right person.

She said the costs of the call centre are all under one contract and there is constant training, so more calls and training off staff in particular areas will not add to costs.

Admin
Admin

https://antirspca.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time? Empty Re: Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time?

Post  misty02 Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 pm

How much training have these so called experts had? Surely to be an expert in a certain field you should have had years of experience/study.
But then again we are talking about the rspca here. How many weeks training does it take for one of their charity workers to become an expert in every single animal species scratch 
Maybe someone should phone this help line and question the experts, see how much they really know

misty02

Back to top Go down

Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time? Empty Re: Is RSPCA 'Badgerline' a waste of time?

Post  Admin Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:30 pm

misty02 wrote:How much training have these so called experts had?  Surely to be an expert in a certain field you should have had years of experience/study.
But then again we are talking about the rspca here.  How many weeks training does it take for one of their charity workers to become an expert in every single animal species scratch 
Maybe someone should phone this help line and question the experts, see how much they really know
With firearms (or section1) you cannot go out on your own until you have had 5 years experience with a mentor or take the relevent DSC 1 and 2 exams.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misty02 Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Sorry, I meant the 'badger experts'.
Slightly off topic but on the 'Save Me' Facebook page their status last week mentioned how they saw red lights in the cull area and decided this was the 'enemy'. After phone calls for reinforcements they found it quite amusing that they ended up in a high speed car chase through the countryside. Really responsible people Mad 

misty02

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 pm

misty02 wrote:Sorry, I meant the 'badger experts'.  
Slightly off topic but on the 'Save Me' Facebook page their status last week mentioned how they saw red lights in the cull area and decided this was the 'enemy'.  After phone calls for reinforcements they found it quite amusing that they ended up in a high speed car chase through the countryside.  Really responsible people Mad 
My mistake .. got my wires crossed. Rolling Eyes  Laughing 
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down