RSPCA Injustice Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home.

2 posters

Go down

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home. Empty Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home.

Post  Admin Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:51 pm

A woman says she fears not being able to keep cats again - a year after the RSPCA seized more than 60 felines from her rescue sanctuary.

Sarah Mellanby, of Thornaby, is to go on trial later this year after being prosecuted for alleged animal neglect.

But she has defended her actions - saying neighbours have had no problems with the cat rescue centre she runs from her semi-detached home.

In July last year, an RSPCA inspector came to her home and took away 62 cats.

Some of them had been rescued and were waiting for rehoming, while others were personal pets.

Sarah claims that some have since been destroyed, while others are still waiting in kennels.

The 41-year-old - who also keeps sheep, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs and a goat - said: “I would love to keep cats again, but I can’t see how I’ll be able to.

“I have other animals which haven’t been taken away and obviously I am worried and scared that they might be taken as well.”

Sarah worked for the RSPCA, social services and the Cats Protection charity - before she set up her own, independent cat rescue centre in 2011.

She is now fighting the decision to have the cats taken away in court and hopes that her pets will be returned.

“I don’t think the RSPCA had any right to take my cats and I don’t think I did anything wrong,” she continued.

An RSPCA spokeswoman confirmed that the charity is bringing a prosecution case against Ms Mellanby, of Acklam Road.

The most recent hearing took place at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court on August 13.

A trial has been set for November 17.

“The RSPCA has instituted proceedings against Sarah Mellanby in connection with seven offences contrary to the Animal Welfare Act 2006," the spokeswoman said.

"These offences relate to the neglect of some 62 cats.

"Sarah Mellanby, as she is entitled to do, invited the Crown Prosecution Service to take over the prosecution and discontinue it.

“The CPS have reviewed the evidence and considered the public interest.

"The CPS have concluded that there is a realistic prospect of conviction and that it is in the public interest to prosecute and that there is no need for intervention.

“The case is due to progress to trial.”

The charity refused to comment further as the case is active.
Admin
Admin

https://antirspca.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home. Empty Former RSPCA Worker Has 62 Cats Removed From Sanctuary

Post  Trilby Bee Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:36 pm

How many times have we heard this? RSPCA cannot bear the thought of anyone taking care of the cats that they do not want; and possibly receiving donations from the public in the form of cash/food etc. Not a word said about what was allegedly wrong with the cats...or why some were (also allegedly) euthanised. So they have had the cats for a year!! On full livery, ye Gods, we are talking megabucks here are we not? And if they have so much evidence against her, why is it taking so long?
I can never quite work out either how the CPS considers it to be in the public interest to prosecute. Why?  Yes, if we are talking about a mugger/paedophile/drunk driver,  any one of which the ''public''might encounter and be injured/robbed etc by the offender. But how is the condition of this owner's cats going to affect the public (unless she is advertising herself as a five star cat boarding facility), I doubt anyone is in any danger from her. What she does or does not do does not affect them.
At least she is offering these cats some life which would be snuffed out in  an instant by the RSPCA...and I imagine several will already have been murdered.  Evil or Very Mad
When are the results of the review due out?? Way overdue IMHO...think they must be raking them with a fine-tooth comb to pick out the flattering bits which I imagine are few and far between. Very Happy

Last edited by Trilby Bee on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trilby Bee
Trilby Bee

Back to top Go down

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home. Empty Re: Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home.

Post  Admin Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:18 pm

What pisses me off is they are prosecuting her for cruelty on the cats but leave every other animal there.
It just doesn`t make any sense.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home. Empty Former RSPCA Worker Has 62 Cats Removed From Sanctuary

Post  Trilby Bee Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Always the case...when the murdering shysters stole my mare they did not even GLANCE at the stable cats and hens which were at the yard. Nor did they ask if I had animals at home. Rolling Eyes  Why do you suppose this is?
Trilby Bee
Trilby Bee

Back to top Go down

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home. Empty Re: Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home.

Post  Admin Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Trilby Bee wrote:Always the case...when the murdering shysters stole my mare they did not even GLANCE at the stable cats and hens which were at the yard. Nor did they ask if I had animals at home. Rolling Eyes  Why do you suppose this is?
Cats, dogs and horses are rehome for profit. Stable cats (presumably feral?) and hens have no value to them?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Former RSPCA worker has 62 cats removed from 'rescue sanctuary' in her home. Empty Fomer RSPCA Worker Has 62 Cats Removed

Post  Trilby Bee Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:34 am

I never thought of that. But yes, ex-battery hens I got for £1 each, so no value there. They did not ask me if I had pets at home...but my stupid solicitor did...I told her I had nothing at home I would declare to the Gestapo.
Trilby Bee
Trilby Bee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down